WRITERS:
check out my new blog for all writing related posts.







Friday, July 27, 2012

9th Av in Jerusalem

It’s difficult to admit to really mourning our lost Temple, if we don’t even appreciate what we have.

So last night I went to the Kotel, the western wall of the Temple  which was closest to the Holy of Holies, the inner sanctum of the Temple where only the High Priest ever entered.We are told, the Shechina, G’ds presence still rests there

DSC03313
These notices at the entrance explain the significance and importance of the site.

As you approach the Kotel you pass by the southern wall of the Temple
DSC03309
Despite it being late evening it was very crowded with  people arriving all the time.
DSC03316
The pigeons were gathering in the crevices of the wall as they always do at dusk
DSC03330
As I sat there saying my prayers it gradually got darker and darker
DSC03338
and by the time I finally went home the lights lit up the walls in a gentle, beautiful way


DSC03350
DSC03348
DSC03355
I have such mixed feelings about the 9th Av.
I mourn the Temple we don’t have – but I am so very, very happy and grateful for the privilege of living here and being able to enjoy what we do have.

It’s a dilemma many of us face.

We pray that we be considered worthy enough that our Temple will be restored to us “bim’heira be’yameinu” speedily and in our time.

1 comment:

Rosalind Adam said...

Yet again you've reminded me of how special your home City is. Thank you for sharing your evening.